Friday, March 9, 2012

Would Merrick Wilderness dog food be a good choice for a dog with allergies?

My dog Murphy has been itching for a long time, and after many different treatments, my vet has suggested that he may be allergic to his food. He's currently on Purina Little Bites dog chow. I've been looking into healthier foods, that won't cost me an arm and a leg and Merrick seems to be pretty good. I'd like to know what others think of this brand of dog food. Is it any good? Should it help with my dogs allergies?



Thanks!



Oh, also, I've tried the Chicken Soup dog food before, they he really didn't like it.Would Merrick Wilderness dog food be a good choice for a dog with allergies?
That's what I use to feed and loved this food HOWEVER in the Summer of 2010 I acquired a dog that could not tolerate grains, so I figured I would just make the change of dog food for both of my dogs . Both of my dogs are now eating Taste of the Wild, and even though grain free, it IS a little cheaper than the Merrick. Taste of the Wild is a 6 star rated food out of 6 stars, and Merrick earned 5 stars. Merrick does have grains, but not the bad crap.
Your dog isn't allergic to Purina Little Bites, but to specific ingredients in it. Any food without those ingredients will be fine. Any food with them, no matter how expensive, won't work. Before going with an expensive grain free, I would try something with a different type of meat. Chicken is about as likely to be a problem as corn, and beef is worse.Would Merrick Wilderness dog food be a good choice for a dog with allergies?
As long as he's not allergic to buffalo, salmon, lamb, rice, oatmeal, barley, or venison. (There's beef fat, too, but if it's pure fat it shouldn't provoke a beef allergy.)
Aww my dog is named Murphy too! Purina is a really bad food with a lot of grain and by products. Dogs with allergies sometimes do better on a grain free food. Orijen, Wellness Core, and Merrick Before Grain.
California Natural and Natural Balance both make limited ingredient foods. I would suggest California Natural Lamb and Rice. it has had a very good success rate with hot spots and other allergic reactions.
I would think that your vet would know more about it than any of us as we're not your vet and he/she are the experts.
Try a raw diet.
depends on what he is allergic
try it and see

i feed grain free diet food
It depends on what the dog is allergic to. What is the protein source in your current food? Is it chicken, turkey, beef? Also, it could be the dog is not necessarily allergic to the protein source, but some other ingredient.



As for the Merrick Wilderness blend, I feed it to my dogs. It's a good food and has been on the Whole Dog Journals list of foods. I have one dog who tends to get soft stools and so far, this blend keeps his stools nice and firm.



The other good quality foods I have feed are: Flint River Ranch, Wellness, Canadaie. The only reason I no longer feed Wellness or Canadie is because in the past, they have changed the receipe without putting a sticker on the bag that it was a new formula. It wasn't until they got loads of complaints did they admit to changing the receipe.
Depends on what the dog is allergic to. My dog with the worst food allergies wouldn't be able to eat that, as it contains barley and rice, both of which she is allergic to. But if the dog has an allergy to corn and wheat, for example, that food would be fine. Generally, diets designed for an allergic dog are the best place to start when you don't know what the culprit is. Look at the Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diets line, or the Wellness Simple Food Solutions line for a start.

Add: One of the problems with the food he is eating is that there is absolutely no way to tell what sort of protein is in the food and avoid it, since the only meat ingredient is "meat and bone meal", which could be anything. So, if you don't know what ingredients to make sure the new food doesn't have... in this case it is best to start with something that uses ingredients that aren't commonly allergens at all, such as the types of food made specifically for allergic dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment