Monday, March 12, 2012

How do you take showers on wilderness camping trips?

what can you do to keep clean?How do you take showers on wilderness camping trips?
Buy a "SunShower". It's a black plastic bag (looks kind of like an oversized hot water bottle) with a hose nozzle and shut-off clamp that holds from one to 3 gallons of water (depends on what size you buy.) You fill it up and let it lay in the sun for a few hours. It absorbs the heat, can get up to about 105 degrees F, in fact, and you hang it in a tree and shower under it by releasing the clamp on the nozzle. I used one to wash my hair and shower every day for 3 weeks on an archaeology field crew out in a remote canyon in the Wyoming mountains. Boy, did that feel good after a hot dusty day of digging! You can order one from CampMor's online catalog. If this method isn't practical you can just use what I used to do on backbacking trips -- the mini-bucket sponge bath. I'd boil a little water with my campstove and then mix it with cold in a small plastic bucket I always carry in my backpack. Strip down and then quickly wash yourself all over with a lightweight wash cloth and dry yourself with a pack towel (this is a microfiber, fast-drying towel.) You don't really need soap (and the scent of soap can attract bugs and animals), just a good scrub, so rinsing isn't a big problem. Use what is left in the bucket to wash and rinse your hair. Let your washcloth and towel dry on a bush in the sun and they won't get funky.
Jeez, you're out camping for christ sakes, in the WILDERNESS. If you gotta wash, jump in the stream or river.

Rough it, you're not going to die if you don't wash for a few days.How do you take showers on wilderness camping trips?
For wilderness? Assuming that you are backpacking - I usually don't. You can jump in a lake or a creek (avoid using soap, it will contaminate the water) or use a moistened towel or washclothe.



When I was in Antarctica, I went for a whole month without taking a shower.
Why are you worried about keeping clean when youre back packing in the wilderness? If I get real muddy or grungy I just jump in the creek, stream, river, lake or ocean Im camping near. Ive been on 1 or 2 week back packing trips or longer without a shower or bath. No ones around so why bother. A wet wash cloth in the morning on my face is good to freshen up. No need to carry extra gear. that weight adds up fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment