Monday, March 12, 2012

Do you carry a compass when you're in the wilderness?

I'm a wilderness survival trainer, I was surprised to hear how few people carry a compass with and/or know how to use it or read a map.



Do you carry a compass, know how to use it, can read a map efficiently?Do you carry a compass when you're in the wilderness?
Yes, Yes, and Yes. I also normally carry a GPS. I worry about being able to tell where I am on the map if I were to get lost. The compass doesn't help much if you don't know where you are. A small GPS unit solves this problem.



That may be overkill, but I normally am responsible for a dozen or more scouts so I like to "be prepared."
Even though I have a Garmin Gs60 I also carry a compass (handed down from my hunter dad) and a map of the area. Back ups are always good to have. And it's always a good idea to orient as to your position and where you are going before you go into the woods. Have a reasonable knowledge of the terrain. And be able to take that information and relate it to an oriented map. Also keeping yourself aware of your surroundings, the time of day and the position of the sun are all good ways to ensure your safe return. Do you carry a compass when you're in the wilderness?
I always carry both a map %26amp; compass whenever I am hiking in a new location. However, I lead hikes at a few places that I know so well I never look at the map or have a need for a compass.



90% of the time when I do use them, I rarely use the compass. If the map is accurate I can normally orient the map on landmarks alone. I only whip out the compass if I need to triangulate or am someplace with no good reference points to orient the map.



I almost never use a GPS. I like one that can give me UTM points as well as Long/Lat. and Altitude. It's nice to know where you are, but the GPS screen maps don't give me the same picture a map does.
usually because it's in the pack

in the Smokies, I don't always but it depends on which trail

there are some trails that I am familiar with where it is easy to get lost if you get just a few yards off the trail and get slightly disoriented for just a few seconds

if I'm in a new area or if it has been awhile since last visit, yes I always carry map, compass, basic survival kit, and I Always make sure someone knows where I'm gong, when I'll be back, and when to call for someone to coming looking for me
Only if I'm going into a real wilderness area.

Don't need one for general hiking trails in well maintained areas with rangers in the area.

Neo's need to prepare well, know where they're going and learn

what to do when needed, incl. compass use.
Yes...and a map...and a GPS.



I do know how to use it (and read a map), thanks to the Scouts. When I was in Army basic training I helped my squad members in their training on map and compass.



I'm also a geologist and work with topo maps almost every day.
carry a couple but i never use them, i like to use the landmarks and terrain to find my way instead, the sun and stars also helpful
I always have a map and compass when on the trail.



To keep my skills practiced I take an orienteering course or reread one of my map/orienteering books annually.
I usually carry a compass when I go out fishing. I always have one with me when I go hunting. The only time I didn't bring one I got lost.
yes

No comments:

Post a Comment